Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Eminem - Survival of the Rap God

The Marshall Mathers LP 2 




Eminem's 13th (believe it or not) studio album is scheduled for release on November 5th. So far we've been privy to 3 tracks from the forthcoming release, Survival (which will be on the new Call of Duty), Berzerk and Rap God. Based on this trio of single releases, the new offering from Marshall is promising to pack punch particularly as there are some new collaborations to look forward to on the album with the likes of Rihanna and Skylar Grey (we like the latter, the former needs to at least put some pants on).
I can't help but be completely fascinated when I hear Eminem rolling off a salvo with 76 syllables in one breath. Rap God is a captivating example of this and whether you like Eminem or not, you cannot deny his talent for articulating that which is his current bugbear in a way that may pack a punch but is nonetheless impressive. Despite the tinge of rage in most aspects of his writing, he has an unbelievable ability to capture this emotion with the use of vicious sarcasm and tongue in cheek nods to industry drama:

 "How could I not blow? All I do is drop F-bombs, feel my wrath of attack Rappers are having a rough time period, here's a maxipad"

We here in Frockstar are really liking Survival, as we love the rock guitars as the platform for Marshall's unrelenting verbal assaults and assurances that he's not going anywhere:

"Cause I'mma fight 'til I die or win 
Biting the dust it'll just make me angrier, wait
Let me remind you of what got me this far, picture me quitting

Now draw a circle around it and put a line through it, slut
It's survival of what?"

He is an enduring artist and leader in the hip hop world, but a rap God? I think Kanye may take umbrage with this and perhaps issue a statement to 'his' public warning us about the follies of worshipping false gods. However, Marshall manages to just retain the cool edge over Kanye, I would prefer to hang out with him any day.

Frockstar says: Kanye 0 - 1 Eminem

Take a listen to Rap God and Survival from Eminem's upcoming album release, The Marshall Mathers LP 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Frockstar's Fav Classic Music